Tuesday 7 August 2007

Day of Op!!!

I arrived at the hospital later that afternoon and they wasted no time getting me ready for the morning, I was first on the list at 8am. I had identity tags on one wrist and one ankle. The nurse gave me a special disinfectant gel that I had to shower in the next morning and the dreaded hospital gown and very attractive stockings used to prevent DVT.
After my shower in the morning, the Anaesthetist came and spoke to me about what would be happening and to explain that when I wake up after the operation that I would have various drips and leads etc... I was asked to take off my jewellery. Anything I couldn't take off could be covered with a plaster. Someone else then came to see me to draw on my leg in marker pen. Luckily by this time my dad and husband had arrived, otherwise I think I would have run away! I was really upset and scared, it's an awful feeling. Before I knew it I was being taken down to theatre. My husband was allowed to stay with me until I was asleep because I was so distressed, I wasn't exactly brave but I'm sure they are used to patients like me!

No comments: