Tuesday 7 August 2007

Things were going so well until...

After 3 or 4 months post surgery I began to get a pinching pain on my right side, I didn't think much of it to start with, as it was in my lower back more than my hip and I had heard it was quite common to suffer sciatica after PAO surgery. It became more uncomfortable and changed to more of a shooting pain right through my hip. I began to worry that because of all the weight and strain being put on my right hip during my recovery from the surgery on my left side,I was now going to get problems with my right hip. I had a check up with my consultant in December so decided to mention it. After explaining the pain, he decided I should consider having my right side done too. My response was 'NO WAY'! Once was enough and I was not going to go through all that again. Mr Apthorp then went on to explain that it's likely to only get worse, and to bear in mind there is approximately a 6 month waiting list. I was not interested, it was still all to fresh in my mind, so I left the appointment adament I would carry on regardless, and had a follow up appointment made for 4 months time to check how things were going.
Once I got home and spoke to my family and friends, they all thought I'd made a mistake and said I was too hasty in ruling it out straight away. It was my dad in the end who convinced me to go for it, he said to just get my name put on the waiting list as I can always change my mind and come off it. I really wanted another baby this year but I'm glad my dad changed my mind. It was hard enough going through this with 1 child, I couldn't imagine doing it with a baby too. So I called the hospital and got put on the waiting list.
Anyway despite the fact my right hip was playing up, the results from my left side were great. We celebrated the success of the surgery by booking a family holiday to Florida. We went in February, 6 months after the op and spent all day everyday walking. By the end of each day my left hip was aching but after a nights rest it was fine by the next morning. I didn't suffer too much with my right side either, I'm not sure whether the heat had anything to do with it but I didn't have any really painful days, just an occasional stabbing pain.
Things soon changed, within weeks of coming home I couldn't believe how quickly the pain in my right hip increased. I was in a lot more pain with my right than I ever suffered with my left before surgery. By the time my next appointment came around I never thought I would say this but I couldn't wait to have the operation! It was only a few weeks later and I had my date through, 6th June '07.
As the date approached I began to get really nervous again, but in the back of my mind I was sure I was doing the right thing. My Pre op Assessment came and went and before I knew it, it was the day of the op... Again!

No comments: