Monday 20 August 2007

Second Recovery

Things went to plan and it was all pretty much the same as the first time around. I was a lot calmer going down to theatre this time, although I did have just a little cry when I got there!
My time in hospital went much the same as before. This time I didn't have to wear those gorgeous stockings! Instead I had to inject blood thinning medication in my stomach everyday for 5 weeks. I really didn't think I would be able to do it but you do get used to it.
My wound was clipped, rather than glued like last time. I had to have the clips removed after about 10 days by my district nurse. It didn't hurt, although the odd one got stuck to me and pulled slightly.
The angle of my right hip was not as bad as what my left side was before the operation, and the results were really good.
I've found recovery this time a lot slower than the first time and a lot more painful. Whether it is you forget just how painful it is or it really is more painful I don't know. However I was taking painkillers for 6 weeks this time, where as before I stopped on week 3. I'm currently 8 weeks post op whilst writing this, and even now I'm still uncomfortable with the pain.
At my 6-7 week check up this time things went well, my consultant is really pleased with the hip, although I seem to have a lot more muscle and tissue damage this time. I've also got a numb thigh which I never had last time. Apparently this is due to nerve damage during the operation and is very common. It seems that I will be on crutches longer this time than last time but I guess that depends on my physio, as yet I'm still waiting for an appointment. I've been trying to get around on just one crutch around the house but even that I'm finding quite painful.

No comments: