Thursday 2 August 2007

The Diagnosis

It was about a year later in March '05, I was lifting Daniel out of the bath and my back totally seized up. I was in agony, unable to even stand up straight. After an hour or so it wasn't improving I still couldn't stand straight so my husband drove me to A&E. They sent me for x-rays of my lower back and pelvis as that was where the pain seemed to be stemming from, and it was then they discovered I had Hip Dysplasia. I was then referred by my GP for an orthopaedic opinion and physiotherapy.
I didn't find that physio or hydrotherapy really helped, I started swimming again in hope that would help but I hated it, all the time I was swimming my hips constantly 'clicked'.
After a several month wait I had an appointment with an orthopaedic consultant at my local hospital, he advised me I basically had 3 options.

1. I could carry on as I was, in agony! Not an option as far as I was concerned!

2. I could opt for a total hip replacement, which is not something that would likely be agreed considering I was only 25, so that was not really an option.

3. I could have something called a 'Peri-acetabular Osteotomy'... a what? was my reply!

No comments: