Tuesday 7 August 2007

Getting Up!

It was Friday afternoon when I was first allowed out of bed. I was taken down for an x-ray first to ensure everything was as it should be. Once given the ok the physio team came to get me up. I wont lie just getting to the edge of the bed was a mission, my advice to anybody would be make sure you are well dosed up with pain killers. They managed to get me up, standing up was excruciating, tears filled my eyes but pure determination made me carry on. I was using a zimmer frame initially and that first time out of bed I only took a few steps before turning back again. My leg felt extremely heavy and the first 6 weeks following the operation you are touch weight bearing only, therefore unable to put any weight through your leg, it is really difficult to begin with but as painful as it is you need to keep with it as the more you do it the easier it gets.
It was Saturday morning when my catheter was taken out, it doesn't hurt, it's just a slight sting for a moment. I was also glad to see the back of the drip too, it becomes really annoying after a while.
The physio team came to see me again, this time to try and get me to the toilet and back! I managed to get there but I gave in and had them wheel me back. For the rest of the day I was going to the toilet myself (well with a nurse following just in case), and each time I managed to get back a little nearer to my bed, by the end of the day I was doing the round trip alone!

No comments: